Langley Centennial Museum
Add As Favorite
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Township of Langley Community and Heritage Services fonds.
1996 - 2019.
Fonds consists of one series: as found reports series which documents historic sites and area in the Municipality of Langley. Includes: Berteau House As Found Report (2016.032.001), Thomas Dent House As Found Report (2004), Dobie House as-Found Report (2017), the Frank and Sadie Evans House As Found Report (2006)(2007.014.001), Fort Langley Fire Hall As Found Report (2008), Ibbotson House As Found Report, 2010 (2015.008.003); Knowles House As Found Report (2008), Langley Peat Processing Plant Pictorial Record (2000), Log Cabin located at 23633 68 Ave. As Found Report, 2011 (2015.008.005); Malone House As Found Report (2004), McDonald Cedar Mill (2001), pre-demolition Interfor site (McDonald Cedar Mill) negatives (2002), Milner Barn As Found Report (2011.21.01), Milner Food Market Heritage Study (1996) (1996.042.001), Muench House, 2013 (2015.008.001); Leonard Hicks Mufford Residence, 2011 (2015.008.004); Wallace Victor Mufford House As Found Drawings (includes original photos and wallpaper samples, 2003), Nish Garage As Found Report (2011.21.02), Otter Co-op Feed Store & Feed Mill As Found Report (2005), the Paziuk House As Found Report (2021.036.001), the Pattenden Residence (2017.001.001), Reid's Blacksmith Shop & Garage As Found Report, 2013 (2014.046.001), Thomas Rhodes House As Found Report (2019.021.002), Schloss Klipphaus (Ziegler Castle) Photographic Documentation and Archival Scan (2007), Thornley Residence As Found Report (2008.11.01), Township of Langley Municipal Hall As Found Report (2006) (2006.56.1-2), Thereuil House As Found Report (2004), Travellers' Hotel As Found Drawings (1998), Bert Williams House As Found Report (2019.021.001), and Yeoman's Store As Found Drawings (1996).
7858 208 Street
Built in the 1930's
The Berteaus, a family from Quebec, built this house in the 1930's. The Pickering family were the next ownders, living in it for 5 or 6 years. They were succeeded by the Johnsons. The property was known locally as "the old burned orchard," insofar as the Berteau's fruit trees were destroyed by fire.
Community and Heritage Services, Township of Langley
The Community and Heritage Services department in the Township of Langley has four main functions: operating the Langley Centennial Museum and National Exhibition Centre; providing heritage planning services to the community at large; providing support to the Council appointed Community Heritage Commission and its committees; and capitalizing on the economic benefits of both heritage preservation and cultural tourism. The Community and Heritage Services Department is part of the Planning, Development, and Stewardship Division.
Builder of the Thomas Dent House.
Term Source: As Found Report, MSS 263
Fort Langley Sawmill
Sawmill located in Fort Langley, on the Fraser River on the west side of the Haldi Bridge. Developed in 1920s by Messers Irvin, Young and Kidd of New Westminster. Believed they started using the site as a tie mill in about 1928 or 1929, and later enlarged the operation to include dimension lumber. Wilfred (Winky) Muench used to graze his cattle on the west end of the mill site. The mill used to burn their waster on the land to the west of the mill, but with a breeze it got all of the village ladies laundry dirty. Local tradition records the mill as having a series of short-term owners in the 1930s. An Indo-Canadian, Lal Singh, bought the mill in the mid 1930s and ran it as the Fort Langley Sawmill. Singh sold the mill to a New Westminster firm (John R. Morley) who ran it as "Fort Langley Sawmills Limited" and subsequently sold it to McLellan and Fred Chadwick in about 1942. Chadwick built the water tower. The Langley Advance newspaper reported on May 11, 1939, that Langley businessmen were among the 17 who formed a company to acquire the Sawmil, which had been sitting idle for the previous 18 months. Due to flooding in the 1940s, a raised platform was built, as well as a larger dyke in 1949. The mill burned in the early 1950s and was rebuilt in 1951-52 as McDonald Cedar, by Bob and Ian McDonald. The McDonalds built the beehive burner in the mid 1950s. Sauder Industries purchased the mill in 1973, but retained the familiar McDonald Cedar name for many years afterward. The mill later became part of the Interfor network of mills. Dimension lumber ceased to be manufactured in about 1977, when the mill was retooled to become a remanufacturing plant. The mill operated until 1996 and was demolished and sold as the Bedford Landing housing development in approximately 2006. Also includes the Fort-to-Fort trail, which, in 2010, began including artifacts along the trail, including a 50 foot saw, to commemorate the mill.
Langley Municipal Hall
SEE Township of Langley Municipal Hall
The Township of Langley Municipal Hall was at 4700-224 Street, Langley. The placement of the Hall reflected the growth of the original communities of Fort Langley and Murrayville. In 2006, the Township of Langley moved its Municipal Hall to the Township of Langley Civic Facility at 20338-65 Avenue, a part of the growing area of Willoughby. The new facility also includes a new library, fitness room, several businesses and a new community policing station.
A small craftsman bungalow located at 20949-83rd Avenue, built circa 1933. Original inhabitants were the Malone family, a black family who were friends of Jim Hill who lived in Murrayville. They came to Willoughby in 1933, when the house is believed to have been built, and ran a chicken farm on the property. The house was later owned by the Christianson family. An "As Found Report" was submitted to the Museum in 2004, before the house was demolished.
Term Source: MSS 263, As Found Report.
The Nish Garage is located at 20387 80th Ave. in Willoughby. William and Elizabeth Nish built this garage in about 1931. The Nishes were originally from the Prairies. They had three children, Nettie, Bill and Jim. Jim worked as a mechanic at the garage. The garage was later known as "Wisty's" in about 198
Term Source: Willoughby Heritage Inventory, 1998.
Ellen Pattenden was a resident of Fort Langley, B.C.
Chief Factor of the Fort Langley Post of the Native Sons of B.C. (1958).
The Paziuks were from Poland or the Ukraine. Their house was built in the 1930's and housed the Paziuks and their four children. The Paziuks operated a dairy and berry farm on their farm for about 10 years.
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Argus v188.8.131.52 - Langley Centennial Museum