The Langley Prairie School is acutally one of a few "Langley Prairie" or "Prairie" schools in Langley with such a name.
On April 1, 1875 Prairie School opened at Innes' Corners (north east corner of Glover Road and Old Yale Rd-Fraser Hwy). Miss Florence Coulthard was the first teacher. Despite the vast school boundary, which stretched to the American border, it was difficult to get attendance, and there were only about 8 children attending in 1876. The building was used for church services and political meetings as well, but burnt down in the winder of 1880-81. School continued in a room of Adam Innes' house while a new school was being built, presumably on the same site.
The second school struggled to get enough students, too, and the school was closed permanently in 1885. Sometime in 1892 or 1893 the Order of the Immaculate Conception bought the Prairie School from the Provincial Government and moved it across the Yale Road to Michaud's hay field, where it was used as a Catholic Church until 1925. In 1925 it was moved up Yale Road and converted into a store.
When the second school closed, the name Prairie School was transferred to a new school on the west side of Townline Road (216th Street) between Milner and Murrayville, on land donated by the John Beaton McLeod family. It was known as the Prairie School until 1907, when it was renamed Langley Prairie School. Milner did not get it's name until 1910, and since the school was closer to Milner than to langley Prairie, the School Board renamed it Milner School, and it was moved north.
In 1895 a new school was built on the southeast corner of New McLellan Road (200th Street) and Hunter Road (56th Ave), and, despite the confusion, it seems that this school was also called Langley Prairie School. In 1907, when the other school became "Langley Prairie", this school was renamed Glencoe School, and it served the area until 1915.
In 1915 the BCER came through Langley, and the station was named Langley Prairie, so the Innes Corner name faded away. When a new school was built in 1915 on land donated by the Logans on the souht side of Yale Road (20060 Fraser Highway) it consisted of two rooms wiht a basement underneath, which was the first covered play area in the Municipality. In 1920 the southern section of the school was added. the building had several renovations over the years, including a changed entrance, storage facilites, a closed-in basement, gas heatin, fire escape stairs, and washrooms. In the 190s, a new building was built south of the old school with more classrooms, a library, gym, and an office. Alice Brown attended this school when it first opened, and returned to be its principal for 18 years. The school became a Fundamental School in the late 1970s or early 1980s. On October 5, 1982 the school suffered $30,000 in damage when arsonists set fire to it.
Term Source: History of Langley Schools" Langley School District #35 1867-2004" by Harry McTaggart, Maureen Pepin and Norman Sherritt