Langley Centennial Museum
Add As Favorite
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Langley Centennial Committee looking at Museum display.
Langley Centennial Committee looking at Museum display. (left to right) T. Beggs, Mrs. H. Stafford, J.H. Schatz, J.H. Conder, W. Johnson, A.C. Hope, J.E. Fairholm, E.H. Coates, A.E. Roberts, H.D. Stafford, Mrs. R. Medd, J.A. Dodd, Mrs. J. Mulligan, Miss. I. Vyse, Miss. E.V. Coates, D.J. Doubleday, Clive Rogers, E.E. Sendall, D.W. Poppy and J. Laing (special coordinator).
Inscription in typewriter print: names of committee members in left to right order.
Coates, Elenore Verna Elizabeth
E.V. (Lornie) Coates was an Asst. Clerk for the City of Langley in 1960. Elenore Verna Elizabeth Coates was born on May 5, 1920, to Ralph W. S. Coates (1890-1936) and Verna Beryl Coates. She never married. Elenore died on September 19, 1998.
Hope, Alexander Campbell
Alexander Campbell Hope was born on August 4, 1894, to Charles Edward and Lily Dawson Hope, nee Mavis. He served with the Royal Flying Corps during World War I. He married Mabel Isabel Andrews on April 29, 1922. He served on the Langley school board from 1930-1932 and was a municipal councilor for Ward Four for another three years. He became reeve of Langley in 1936 and served for 11 years. Hope went on to serve in the Coalition government from 1945-1952 and was also a member of the agricultural advisory board. He was one of the founding fathers of the B.C. Artificial Insemination Center for dairy cattle, and was involved with several agricultural organizations, including the B.C. Certified Seed Potato Growers' Association, where he served as chairman for a number of years, the B.C. Federation of Agriculture, the Salmon River Dyking Commission, and the Langley Farmer's Institute.
In addition to his commitments to farming and agriculture, Hope was also president of the Fort Langley Community Improvement Society, served two terms as president of Fort Langley Restoration Society, was a member of The Native Sons of B.C., and was chairman of the Langley Centennial Celebration Committee from 1964-1967. He was actively involved at St. George's Parish Church, serving in all offices, and supported the Conservative Party, participating in party affairs within Langley and the lower mainland. At the same time he managed and operated a large farm raising dairy cattle and sheep, with the help of his family. He also grew acres of vegetables and hay and owned a large holly orchard. Alexander Campbell Hope died on August 25, 1978.
Term Source: HPC Record (HOPEC-3/284); HPC Record (HPC-365/1134)
Langley Centennial Committee (1958)
Around 1957 the Langley Centennial Committee was created in order to prepare for celebrations commemorating the 100th anniversary of the proclamation of British Columbia as a Crown Colony in 1958. The committee, chaired by Alexander Campbell Hope (MLA for Delta from 1945-1949), included representatives from both the Corporation of the Township of Langley and the City of Langley. Various public events were organized and the creation of the Langley Centennial Museum was undertaken by the Committee. Committee members (in addition to Hope) included: Clive Rogers - Vice Chair, Derek J. Doubleday - Secretary Treasurer, Miss L. Coates - Corresponding Secretary, and members at large: A.J. Dodd, J.E. Fairholm, J.H. Schatz, H.D. Stafford, Miss Ida Vyse, Miss F.J. Mulligan (Women's Institute), Mrs. Anne Medd, Harry Coates (Native Sons, McMillan Post member), J.H. Conder, Wellwood Johnson, A.E. Roberts, and Reeve Bill Poppy.
Langley Centennial Museum
The Museum is located within a designated Heritage Conservation Area in the village of Fort Langley, Township of Langley. Community collecting began in the 1920's with a Native Sons of BC exhibit located in the last remaining Hudson's Bay Company fur trade era structure (circa 1840). A decision by the Canadian Parks Services to actively interpret Fort Langley prompted the provincial and municipal governments to cooperate in the construction of a new museum adjacent to the National Historic Site.
The Township-owned museum opened July 1, 1958 and housed a majority of the Native Sons collection. It was operated by volunteers until 1974 when it was selected by the Federal government as a site for one of 22 National Exhibition Centres across Canada. The physical plant doubled in size, its mandate was extended to include art, history and science traveling exhibitions and the first staff person was hired. Federal NEC operating funding was eliminated in 1994 but the museum has continued to respond to that expanded mandate. In 1991, the Museum became the core facility of the Community and Heritage Services Department, Planning, Development and Stewardship Division, Township of Langley.
Term Source: BCAUL
Langley Centennial Museum Opening.
On July 1, 1958, the Langley Centennial Museum was officially opened by Mr. C. J. Wallace, chairman of the BC Centennial Committee. During the ceremonies, old and new guards of the Royal Engineers flanked the entrance, joined by ladies in pioneer costumes. Members of the Fraser Brigade also made up close to 1000 people in attendance. Two plaques were unveiled, one commemorating the museum as a centennial project and a second in memory of the first Christian missionaries in the area. Two totem poles were presented by the Native Sons McMillan Post No. 9. Dick Corliss who played the role of Simon Fraser in a re-enactment, presented the museum with a box of polished stone from Yale. The Douglas District Women's Institute presented 21 historic figurines.
Poppy, David William, Jr.
David William Poppy was Mayor of the Township of Langley from 1967 - 1971, Reeve 1956 - 1967 and Councillor in 1944, 1946 - 1955.
Term Source: Roads & Other Place Names in Langley, B.C. pg 41(Pepin).
James Howard Schatz was born in Delia, Alberta, February 29th, 1924. He came to Langley with his family in 1931, attending both Milner Elementary and Langley High School before going to UBC. Jim joined the Langley Advance staff as a reporter in 1947, but also wrote for The Province from 1947 - 1953. At the same time, Jim farmed in the Willoughby area, and on March 22, 1951, he married local school teacher Norma Helen Walters. The couple had four sons and two daughters - two sons and both daughters died of cystic fibrosis, leaving two sons, Allen (Joe) and Ian. Jim and George Johnson became co-owners of the Advance in 1958 when E. J. Cox retired and Fred Cox sold his interest in the paper while retaining his commercial printing part of the firm. Perhaps thanks to Jim, the Advance was one of the first papers outside of a metropolitan area to get a modern multilith press in 1947, soon followed by a Klischograph engraver for photos. While remaining a consistent presence in the newspaper world, Jim raised registered Shorthorn cattle, was the president and principal owner of Langley Travel Services Ltd. after 1972, and was a director of a group of businessmen that built Highland Village Mall. Jim Schatz died of a stroke February 4, 1990, at the age of 65.
Term Source: HPC Record (HPC-365/1134), Willoughby School Photos (not catalogued).
Sendall, Ernest Edward
Ernest Edward "Ernie" Sendall was born at Aylesham, England on April 3, 1890. His business activities were centred in the Harmsworth community. Ernest was active in the Harmsworth Community Society, which he was president of. After 1935, he became a Board of Trade leader and president of the Langley Board on two occasions. He also served as president of the Associated Boards of Trade of the Fraser Valley and the Lower Mainland, and was a charter member of the BC Chamber of Commerce.
Sendall helped organize the BC Baby Chick Co-operative Association, and served for many years as its president and secretary. He was on several poultry organizations and was regarded as an authority in the poultry industry. In 1949 he was president of the Canadian Federation of Hatchery Associations. His poultry farm, under his management, developed into the largest operation of its kind in BC. Before 1959 it was the first hatchery to produce more then a million chicks in one year. Sendall was one of the first to promote development of cross-bred strains in the Lower Mainland poultry industry. He was also an avid aviation booster. He was a member of the Langley Advisory Board and on the executive of the BC Aviation Council. He served with the Langley Lions Club, was a past master of the Eureka Lodge No. 103 A. F. and A. M., and past district deputy Grand Master of district No.2 A. F. and A. M. He worked hard for the incorporation of Langley Prairie as a city and served as the first elected Mayor of Langley City from 1955-1959. His family included son John Edward (1919-1943) who died overseas during the Second World War, son Richard (Dick), daughter Jean, a brother in England, and a sister in Northern Ireland. Ernie Sendall died on October 26,1959.
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Argus v126.96.36.199 - Langley Centennial Museum