Langley Centennial Museum
Add As Favorite
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Research materials collected by Maureen Pepin.
5.0 cm of textual records and two CDs collected by Maureen Pepin for research on Langley's schools. These research materials were used by Harry McTaggart, Maureen Pepin, and Norm Sherritt in writing the book, "History of Langley Schools, 1867-2004, Langley School District #35."
The textual materials include:
- Correspondence with John F. Fee on the Springbrook School
- Photocopied photographs from John Fee (including photograph 2011.018.002 which is in the collection)
- Documents on the history of Otter Elementary school
- Photocopies of a letter and briefing on education in Langley from 1979
- Photocopied photographs of County Line school
- Photocopy of the Langley High School Song by John Leonard
- Canadian Inventory of Historic Buildings for: Murrayville Elementary, Langley Central Fundamental, Patricia Elementary, South Otter Elementary, Glenwood Elementary, Aldergrove School, Langley Prairie Fundamental, Otter Elementary, Milner Elementary
- Stapled booklet called “County Line Elementary History and Memories” with photographs and text from August 1991
- Loose pages from another copy of County Line Elementary history book (appears to be another edition, November 1991)
- Photocopied pages of handwritten text and photographs relating to County Line School and the Coghlan community
- Notes on book production costs and backing up files by Maureen Pepin
- Enrollment reports for Langley School District #35 from: February 28, 2002; Sept. 30 2004; June 30, 2004
- Printed sheet with Douglas Park Elementary mascot and motto
- Letterheads for James Kennedy Elementary, South Carvolth Elementary, D. W. Poppy Secondary, and Langley Meadows Community School
- Notes by Maureen Pepin and assorted correspondence
- Manuscript copies, handwritten and typed/corrected, of the book
- Photocopied photograph of James Kennedy and his wife
- Information about Langley Fundamental Elementary
- Information about H. D. Stafford Secondary’s BCIT program
- Information about Alice Brown Elementary
- Information about Langley Fine Arts School, including a pamphlet
- Letter sent from Mauren Pepin to school principals in School District #35 asking for help with information for the book
- Chronology of the Langley School District from 1858 – 1995
- Langley Heritage Society correspondence and information on Murrayville School, further informational sheets on Murrayville School history
- History of Glenwood Elementary
- Anecdotes collected by Maureen Pepin for inclusion in school book about: Wix-Brown Elementary, Glenwood Elementary, Milner Elementary, Otter School, Patricia School, and Alice Brown (the teacher)
- One CD with 131 photographs, scanned report cards, and other documents
- One CD labelled "Print backup January 26 2005" with 24 Word Perfect documents containing a copy of the book "History of Langley Schools 1867-2004, Langley School District #35."
Langley teacher and administrator. Alice Brown Elementary School is named after her. She began her 47 year teaching career at Belmont School in 1924, and taught until 1975.
Information source: History of Langley Schools, 1867-2004, by Harry McTaggart, Maureen Pepin, and Norm Sherritt.
County Line School
In 1892, County Line Elementary started out as Beaver Elementary, a one-room school located at the corner of Coghlan (256th St) and Roberts (56th Ave) Roads. In 1918 a new school was built further east on Roberts Road, and the name was changed to County Line. This new school was two storeys and had kerosene lamps and a wood furnace in the basement. In 1931 the school burned down. After the fire a new County Line School was built on the same property. The new school was also two storeys high, and was painted pink and had no windows in the front. It had a wide stairway leading to the front door, which was on the second floor where the three classrooms and cloakroom were. In 1947 the school buildings were transported to Otter Road (248th St.) and became North Otter Elementary. The present (2006) County Line Elementary opened on the corner of County Line and Kendall Roads in 1948. The school was continually added to over the coming decades. In 2004 the school sat on 4.5 acres and had 134 students.
Term Source: History of Langley Schools" by McTaggart, Pepin & Sherritt p. 28.
Fee, John Frederic
John Frederic Fee was born in Vancouver to Charles Herbert and Dorothy Evelyn Fee, nee Brownridge. John has a twin sister, Betty, and an older sister, Barbara. John served in the Royal Canadian Navy during World War II on the HMCS Restigouche as a leading seaman. He passed away in 2004.
Glenwood School is located in the Langley School District, later School District 35 (Langley).
Harrower, Hazel (née Harding)
Hazel Harding was born in 1921. She came to Langley with her parents, Joseph (Joe) and Lily Harding, and her brother Bernie in 1937, from La Fleche, Saskatchewan when the Depression drove them to move. They settled on what was then called Winchester Road in Murrayville and began a small dairy farm. She finished high school by doing part of junior high by correspondence and finishing senior matriculation courses at Abbotsford. She went to normal school in Vancouver at age eighteen, and some of her classmates included Les MacDonald (the judge) and Norman Sherritt (the principal). She went to school to become a teacher, receiving a teacher's specialist certificate, even attending summer school in Victoria to get 15 credits. She taught at County Line School, where she remembered having four Japanese students that were taken in 1941 to the Hastings Park internment camp and moved east. She late taught at Murrayville School. She married Robert (Bob) Harrower in July 1946 at Sharon United Church, after he returned from overseas where he had served in the Royal Canadian Air Force (R.C.A.F.) as a navigator during World War II. Hazel and Bob had met the very first Sunday Hazel was in Langley in 1937; they were introduced by Ron Cockett, who was the choir leader at church, and Hazel was in the choir. Before marriage, Hazel worked as a teacher for six years: three at County Line School, and three at Murrayville Elementary. She left teaching after her marriage. She and Bob continued to farm until 1957, when Bob began to work for the customs service. The couple had three children: Jim, Lillian, and Rob (d. 1981).
Term Source: Oral history interview with Hazel Harrower; Langley Advance article "Pioneer Mourned" May 15 1996; handwritten document, "Mrs. Robert Harrower," in Harrower family reference folder.
Langley High School
In 1909 the first high school class was organized and held in rented quarters in Murrayville. From 1911-18, classes were held in Belmont Superior School (later Murrayville Elementary), but the school became overcrowded with elementary and high school students. The school board approached the Municipal Council, but their request for a new schol was turned down twice. The board resigned, but the next board was more successful and local contractor Owen Hughes was hired on a low bid of $11,900. The School Board temporarily found room for the overflow pupils from Murrayville in the downstairs portion of Milner Hall and by renting the Sharon Presbyterian Church Hall. In 1922, Langley High School moved from Murrayville to Milner School, where it remained until Langley High School was built on Yale Road in 1924. Langley High School opened in 1924 with two classrooms and one science room. It taught grades 9 to 12. Additional rooms were built in 1934. In roughly 1947 the new school on the current property (2005) was built, and it included Grades 11 and 12. In 1948, the old building on Fraser Highway became Langley Central Elementary, and the high school students moved to the current location (2006) at Langley SECONDARY School. In 1985 the school went from Grades 8-12.
See Also: Langley Secondary School
Term Source: History of Langley Schools" by Harry McTaggart, Maureen Pepin, and Norman Sherrit.
Langley School District
The Langley School District administered schools in the Langley and Fort Langley areas. It later became part of School District No. 35 (Langley).
See Also: School District No. 35
Term Source: BCAUL
Langley Secondary School
Langley Secondary School is located at 21405 56 Avenue, and is part of the Langley School District, later School District 35 (Langley). The current school building was built in 1948. The school has been added to over the years, and in 2019 is being completely rebuilt.
Leonard, John F., 1881-1967
Son of William Leonard. Husband of Isobella Leonard. John (Jack) Leonard was born in London, England on March 1, 1881 and arrived in Vancouver in 1899. In his early adult life, he worked in logging camps in the B.C. interior and as a contractor in Salmon Arm, B.C. After service in Europe during World War I, he returned to Canada and obtained a teacher's certificate. He began teaching in Cloverdale and later taught in Langley. He was a composer of operettas and conducted musical performances of his compositions at John Oliver High School (Vancouver) and Langley High School.
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Argus v188.8.131.52 - Langley Centennial Museum