The Hudson's Bay Company Pioneer Cemetery (1840-1884)
This cemetery, located on the northeast corner of Church and Mary Streets beside St. George’s Church, was established after the Hudson’s Bay Company Fort was built to the northeast in 1839. Approximately 30 people were buried here until the Fort Langley Cemetery was created in the 1880s. The predominantly wood grave markers disappeared quickly.
The Fort closed in 1886 and the surrounding land, including the cemetery, was purchased by Alexander Mavis. He sold the land to members of an Anglican congregation in 1900. In 1901, St. George’s Anglican Church was built.
The research of Bob and Sheila Puls resulted in the following list:
|Peopeoh (Pion Pion)
||b.1798; d. after 1859
||wife of Peopeoh
|Infant son of Henry and Eliza Peers
|Ovid Allard Jr.
|William Henry Newton
||Magice or Maille 1798-1874
|Elizabeth (Cromarty) Dawson
|Catherine (Falardeau) Taylor
|An Unnamed Sapper of The Royal Engineers
||b.1862; likely died as a child
||wife of Etienne Pepin
||b.1850; died before 1875
|Salum=mia (aka. Eliz, Jane, Jenny) Cromarty
|| d.1867 aged about 100
|Ovid John Morrison
|Peter Apnaut (Ohule Ouahi, Apnath)
||b.1825; d. before 1867
|Aglae (Paiwa) (Peopeoh) Ohier
||b.1827; d. after 1856
||d. after 1856
Approximately 30 to 35 people were buried in this cemetery during its active life. Another 15 people are named in the company's records as having served in Fort Langley but whose burial places are presently unknown. Their names will be added to this memorial list if evidence of their burial here can be established.
Sarah Brousseau (1842-1889) may not be buried in this cemetery. She was believed to have been buried in the company's cemetery at Derby, her headstone having been brought here for safekeeping as the Derby cemetery eroded into the Fraser River.
Langley Centennial Museum